Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Moving Toward the Middle Ground

I have someone in my life that tends to live in the zone of inflexibility. What is this? It is called “rigid thinking” or thinking in black and white terms. I like these definitions: “unable to bend or be forced out of shape; not flexible, not able to be changed or adapted.” Now, before I go on I should say that there are occasions that we all have rigid thinking, especially when it comes to something that pushes against a strong belief system. Rigid thinking only becomes problematic when our passion to be right overrides our rationality.

Another term for this is all or nothing thinking – what we call a mental mishap taught through Interpersonal Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. What is the matter with this type of thinking?  THERE IS NO MIDDLE GROUND! Unfortunately, this type of thinking is so problematic because it does not allow for the sharing of ideas, being able to communicate effectively, and can be extremely destructive in relationships.

One of the things I notice about people who live in the zone of inflexibility is that they seem to feel that they are right. There is this righteousness (arrogance?) that comes across in their language. Almost as if they are thinking, “how can you not agree with me???” When I hear a patient express this type of thinking, I frequently hear myself say something like, “how is this thinking helping your relationship? Will your rigidity hurt or help your relationship?” You see frequently people who have all or nothing thinking often struggle in their relationships. It is hard to live with someone who is inflexible.

It is my job to point out the irrationality of this form of thinking. With I-CBT I ask people whether their thinking is actually factual or is it just their interpretation. I ask them if they are getting their needs met, whether they ultimately end up feeling good and meet their goals. The answer is generally no, no and no…..yet somehow it is hard for them to challenge their irrationality even if they can see that it doesn’t help them. This is one of the most difficult challenges for an I-CBT clinician – to watch such self-destructive behavior all in the name of feeling “I’m right and you’re wrong!!”

Guess what – there is always a middle ground. It occurs when we are able to step back, push the emotion aside, listen to the other person, challenge our irrational thinking and then compromise. Even if it means to agree to disagree, it still has a much better outcome than pushing others away with inflexibility.

What are your areas of rigid thinking? Do you recognize when you are using this? If not, ask a family member. I bet they would be happy to educate you! Next see if you can become more aware when it happens and then use I-CBT – life can be much more rational when you can learn where the middle ground lies.

Bonnie Lillis, LPC

5/27/16  

No comments:

Post a Comment