Thursday, June 25, 2015

WHAT WOULD HAPPEN IF ALL OF OUR THOUGHTS WERE IN CARTOON BALLOONS?

Someone posted a message on Facebook that said something like, “Thank goodness I don’t have a cartoon balloon over my head!” I chuckled about this at first and then I started percolatin’ on it. What would happen if everyone could read our thoughts? I wonder if it would be a good thing.  These questions came to me:

Would we become more rational because we would have to temper our negative thinking? Would we judge others less? Would it be more beneficial as we would know exactly where we stand or would that be more hurtful? What would happen to the lying? Would that prevent us from lying? Would we be kinder to each other or would it increase the battles with each other?

Then I started thinking about my own thoughts; the negative ones especially. It would be so embarrassing if everyone could read my thoughts. Then they would see all of those things that I have become so good at hiding. You know, all of those characteristics that we dislike about ourselves that we desperately try to keep under control. And to think of what others would think if they were able to read what I sometimes say to myself - like when I look in the mirror. Those irrational thoughts have been with me a long time and I am still challenging them. Those balloons would also show my weaknesses, my insecurities, my struggle with forgiveness, and my judgmentalism. Yep, all of those negative human traits. Hey, don’t judge me! I know you have some of those too! Yes, that would be pretty bad if others could read my thoughts!

My conclusion? It would create more difficulty if everyone could read each other’s thoughts. I truly believe it is far easier to change my own thinking for the better! That is what Cognitive Behavioral Therapy is all about – change your stinkin’ thinkin’ and help yourself feel better emotionally. It works! I can change my thinking and become less anxious, less depressed or discouraged, less angry, and less whatever negative feeling I can come up with. Cartoon balloons? PERISH THAT THOUGHT!

Bonnie Lillis, LPC

Clinical Director

No comments:

Post a Comment